The White Ridge Saga
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Snows of White Ridge continues an epic, as blessings, changes, and trials alike come to the newly-named White Ridge Pack, and their allies, the Swift River Clan.
The website of the Packs

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OMG! Computers don't come with WHAT anymore? O__O

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Avadedra Hetarra
A Simple Twist of Fate
Avadedra Hetarra

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2007-09-04

OMG! Computers don't come with WHAT anymore? O__O Empty
PostSubject: OMG! Computers don''t come with WHAT anymore? O__O   OMG! Computers don't come with WHAT anymore? O__O EmptyThu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Ok, here's the deal...

I purchased a new laptop last night. It's a Toshiba Satellite L300 Series, and I'm already very pleased with its performance and capabilities. Very Happy Standing in the store with the salesman last night, I was shocked to find out that computers are no longer sold with recovery disks. What the heck? Since when? I was told that for somewhere between an extra $60 and $100, plus 2-4 hours, I could have some made for my machine. I declined politely, of course, seeing as I was on a budget of $500. I guess I just don't get it. XD

My dad bought me my desktop PC from this same store in 2005, and it still has its recovery disks. I bought the laptop to take some of the pressure off of my poor tower. >_< The poor thing is dieing a slow and painful death. Sad

Here's my question... how in the world do I make my own recovery disk(s)? Is there a way?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/avasaddiction
kotelinie
Starfleet Vice Admiral
\m/ Melodic Rocker
and ICTer

Starfleet Vice Admiral  \m/ Melodic Rocker  and ICTer
kotelinie

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-09-05

OMG! Computers don't come with WHAT anymore? O__O Empty
PostSubject: Re: OMG! Computers don't come with WHAT anymore? O__O   OMG! Computers don't come with WHAT anymore? O__O EmptyThu May 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Yes it is sad these days that there are not coming recovery disks (cd's / dvd's) anymore with computers, or a a loose operating system, and drivers of the system, so that you can re-install it manually, without the need to go to a computer store / expert to let them do it for you.

I know well that there are on some brands, a reserved partition on the hard disk, which contains the recovery part. This partition is hidden from the user self, so that you can't mess with it.

Self i bought a couple of weeks ago, also a laptop (Acer Aspire 7530G), and there are also no recovery disks or any other disks with drivers. In the store they told me about it, and that before i am going to use it, to make the recovery disks self. The program that came with the Acer is called NTI Backup now 5.

I got a message in the system tray saying to make a backup of the factory settings, i clicked on it and followed the instructions. It also told me that it will cost 12 cd's or 2 dvd's. I used the last one and am happy with it, to have those. As i used them all twice. The making of it, took a hour, but running the recovery self took an few hours.

NTI backup now 5 trail version.

But self i think is that there is also some software installed on the laptop, that says that you need to make a recovery disk now, of the factory settings. This was my case. If not you can use the url above.

On my work i have done re-installations on laptops and desktops, with a cd for win xp (dvd for vista) and then i had to find on the net for drivers of controllers, chipsets and other things that is needed to let everything work and communicate good. (Sometimes finding the right driver can be a pain, if you don't know where to look).

I hope you can get a recovery disks for your laptop. Smile
Back to top Go down

OMG! Computers don't come with WHAT anymore? O__O
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The White Ridge Saga :: Outsiders' Interests :: Human Technologies-
Jump to: