The White Ridge Saga
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Snows of White Ridge continues an epic, as blessings, changes, and trials alike come to the newly-named White Ridge Pack, and their allies, the Swift River Clan.
The website of the Packs

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Core 2 and Core 2 Duo?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kotelinie
Starfleet Vice Admiral
\m/ Melodic Rocker
and ICTer

Starfleet Vice Admiral  \m/ Melodic Rocker  and ICTer
kotelinie

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Core 2 and Core 2 Duo? Empty
PostSubject: Core 2 and Core 2 Duo?   Core 2 and Core 2 Duo? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 5:22 am

Core 2 and Core 2 Duo?

Core 2 and Core 2 Duo? Cores

Back in the day buying a processor was as simple as looking at the megahertz or gigahertz and purchasing based on the bigger number. I know there's more to it than that like onboard cache and what-not, but in comparison to what we've got to work with today, life seemed simpler back then.

So, for example, what's the difference between Core 2 and Core 2 Duo?

Let's explore!

Core 2 is the successor to Intel's Pentium D line of processors, which was basically two Pentium 4 “Prescott” processors duct-taped together and called Dual Core. Core 2 is this, only with a more refined construction, making it more efficient in terms of both power and consumption of power. This design is perfect for laptops.

Core 2 Duo, on the same hand, is the successor to the Core 2 architecture, but is designed for desktops and laptops. Once again, more powerful and more energy efficient than previous models.

It's just a matter of variants at this point, with the familiar “gigahertz” numbers buried deep within the processor's specifications sheet. You'll see something like Core i7 950, which just so happens to have multiple processors running at 3.06ghz. The next model up, the 965 Extreme, clock in at 3.20ghz per processor. Remember to search the manufacturer's website for more info, and if you're still confused, Wikipedia has some decent information on all of the current processors on the market.

~Andrew
Back to top Go down
FireStormWarning
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha
FireStormWarning

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Core 2 and Core 2 Duo?   Core 2 and Core 2 Duo? EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 12:13 pm

Kotie, what's your opinion of AMD processors compared to Intel processors? Personally, I prefer the former, but I'm curious to know what you think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/the-black-mountain-saga/index.htm
kotelinie
Starfleet Vice Admiral
\m/ Melodic Rocker
and ICTer

Starfleet Vice Admiral  \m/ Melodic Rocker  and ICTer
kotelinie

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Core 2 and Core 2 Duo?   Core 2 and Core 2 Duo? EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Self i have had only Intel processors, that is until i purchased a laptop with an AMD processor. I am happy with the laptop and its performance for what i do with it.

I have believed that AMD CPU's where good for games, for having a faster response time, but lagging the power for the complex calculations. For Itel CPU's, good at making complex calculations.

Besides Intel is also a bit clearer on the information of the CPU, at how much MHz or GHz it is running. If you ask me on what range an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 running, then i need to look it up. For this one it is 2.6GHz.

Self i am still a fan of Intel, even that the gab between the two are now much closer then five years back. So if you ask me to configure a computer for you, it shall have an Intel CPU.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Core 2 and Core 2 Duo?   Core 2 and Core 2 Duo? Empty

Back to top Go down

Core 2 and Core 2 Duo?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The White Ridge Saga :: Outsiders' Interests :: Human Technologies-
Jump to: