The White Ridge Saga
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Snows of White Ridge continues an epic, as blessings, changes, and trials alike come to the newly-named White Ridge Pack, and their allies, the Swift River Clan.
The website of the Packs

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Computer Infection

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:34 am

Okay, this has been a problem for about week now and I'm about to have a stroke over it.
I went to one of my regular sites one day, and suddenly everything froze up...then after a minute it all closed itself out and I had no icons or anything on my desktop and Start was frozen as well. I restarted with the button on my computer tower because it was the only way I could and when I logged back on a balloon started popping up saying I have a computer infection and need to install Antivirus 2010 (we use AVG...have absolutely no clue where this Antivirus program came from) and our AVG only detected a few viruses where the Antivirus 2010 says it found 22...but to get rid of them we have to pay out the bum to register with them.
Now, for some reason, after a couple of days this problem stopped on my mom's account (we have our own seperate accounts on the computer), but it continues with mine. I can't hardly navigate to any of my online pages because it will block me and say there's a threat of a virus attack. BUT our AVG either isn't finding them or isn't getting rid of them when it does and my mother does not want to pay to get a different antivirus program let alone one that randomly downloaded itself on our computer (and misspells the word prevent...into pervent.)
Back to top Go down
kotelinie
Starfleet Vice Admiral
\m/ Melodic Rocker
and ICTer

Starfleet Vice Admiral  \m/ Melodic Rocker  and ICTer
kotelinie

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 11:28 am

Uh oh... This is not good. The balloon message with the request of installing Antivirus 2010 (or any other year) it is a hoax!! A HOAX, its fake. you are not infected. Its just to scare you with the fake founds and to get rid of it you need to pay for it.

This is just a mallware infection. It can be removed with these two programmes.

1. Smitfroudfix
If you have the infection on a Windows XP computer Download smitfraudfix. Save it to the desktop for easy finding and use. Disconnect from the internet, Unplug the network cable from the computers back)

NOTE: If you have Windows Vista, then DON'T download it, as it will not work, skip to number 2. Malwarebytes.

1.1. Reboot the computer into safe mode. Press F8 multiple times while the computer starts up. On a moment, you get multiple options to start Windows, choose from it, the Safe mode.

1.2. When done with starting up safe mode, locate the smitfroudfix file and run it. choose option 2.

It shall scan the computer and kill any active processes. On the end of its run it gives you a notepad file for what it has found and removed for virusses. With it, would be also the Antivirus 2010.
Reboot the computer to normal mode.

2. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

2.1. Update it, then run a fast scan. When completed delete the virusses / malware.

2.2. Do now the Full scan. Which can take up a few hours, depending on the size of the Hard Disk. When completed delete the virusses / malware.

Now you should be clean of any viruses / malware.

Good luck and let me know if it worked.
Back to top Go down
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 6:47 pm

After going through all that and struggling with it for almost an hour it still didn't get rid of the Antivirus 2010.
Back to top Go down
kotelinie
Starfleet Vice Admiral
\m/ Melodic Rocker
and ICTer

kotelinie

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 2:08 am

hmm.. if i had done it, i think it should have worked to get rid of it.

As those two options are used at my work to remove almost all the virusses from an infected pc at my work.

Follow the instructions from t his site, to remove that Antivirus 2010

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-2010

You can also install and run a-squared Free 4.5 To remove spyware / malware.

Of course i like to come over and do it for you, but the distance is a bit too far (other continent)

I hope it works now then.
Back to top Go down
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 9:14 am

Well, I don't have to do all that because for some reason, today, it's gone! Very Happy Thanks Kotie!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
FireStormWarning
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha
FireStormWarning

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2007-07-22

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 9:23 am

Like Kotie said, Antivirus 2010 was a malware program, much like VirusHeat and a number of others.

As a note to you, Meo, and to everyone else who may visit this sight:

If you suddenly find a pop-up window on your computer warning that you are infected with viruses and need to download X program to remove them, DO NOT CLICK THE BUBBLE!!! More often than not, these programs ARE the problem. They are known as rogue Anti-virus/anti-spy programs and are marketed through scare tactics due to their low quality.

The list hasn't been updated recently, but if you'd like to check up to see whether a given program is rogue/suspect, a good place to start is at www.spywarewarrior.org
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/the-black-mountain-saga/index.htm
kotelinie
Starfleet Vice Admiral
\m/ Melodic Rocker
and ICTer

kotelinie

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Or go to google and type in the strange message you get. With the found hits, you can see also if it is a Malware program.

Thats really wonderful to hear that you got rid of it, Meo!

Your very welcome for it. So.. lets see.... That would be then two wolf licks.
Back to top Go down
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Just got another one...this one's called Total Security but basically looks the same as the other one >>;
Back to top Go down
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Is there anything I can install to stop these things?
Back to top Go down
FireStormWarning
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha
FireStormWarning

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Well, like in real life, Meo, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. However, I would recommend:

Avast! Antivirus or AVG free antivirus (Though the former is somewhat more user-friendly)

Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free)

Javacool's Spyware Blaster (free)

And any firewall program Kotie might recommend. Let me know if you need help looking up any of these programs. They're all free, and have done me more good than any program for which I've ever paid.
Back to top Go down
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Quote :
...AVG free antivirus (Though the former is somewhat more user-friendly)

That's what we currently have ><
Back to top Go down
FireStormWarning
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha
FireStormWarning

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 1:32 am

Well, that's one part of your protection, but keep in mind that it probably didn't catch the malware that infected your system. That's why I recommended the latter.
Back to top Go down
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 1:48 am

I got rid of it..along with 33 other apparent infections..with the Malwarebytes thang
Back to top Go down
kotelinie
Starfleet Vice Admiral
\m/ Melodic Rocker
and ICTer

kotelinie

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 7:02 am

a-squared is also a free program, i recommend of installing and using it.

Download link: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/#download

For a good and free firewall, lets see... That would be then Zone-Alarm or Online Armor Free

Online Armor's range of firewall products are designed to fit every need. Our free version provides great security for those on a tight budget. The premium edition expands this protection with automatic updates and our unique "Banking Mode" to protect you when banking online - and our top of the line Online Armor ++ includes powerful Antivirus and Antispyware capabilities.
Key Features
* Stops Hackers
* Stops Malicious Programs
* Protects your Identity

Online Armor Free

Download Link http://www.tallemu.com/downloads.php

-------

ZoneAlarm
iT Provides basic two-way firewall protection
* Blocks inbound and outbound traffic threats
* Makes you invisible to hackers

Download link: http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html?part=dl-69168&subj=dl&tag=button

-------------------

Also what you can do is to check if you are fully protected and have the latest windows updates installed on your computer.
To check it: Start -> Configuration screen -> set the view of that window to classic view, then go to security center

See there if the three settings; Firewall / Automatic updates and Virus protection are green. What can happen is, that by a malware or virus infection, those three things are turned off.

When you have installed ZoneAlarm, do not use the Windows Firewall!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer Infection   Computer Infection Empty

Back to top Go down

Computer Infection
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The White Ridge Saga :: Outsiders' Interests :: Human Technologies-
Jump to: