The White Ridge Saga
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Snows of White Ridge continues an epic, as blessings, changes, and trials alike come to the newly-named White Ridge Pack, and their allies, the Swift River Clan.
The website of the Packs

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Observations on lack of Liquid-time

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zeroki
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha
Zeroki

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Observations on lack of Liquid-time Empty
PostSubject: Observations on lack of Liquid-time   Observations on lack of Liquid-time EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Liquid-time: Where you character can only be in one thread at a time. In order for one character to participate in another thread, they must leave the thread that they are currently in.

I think that the idea of having no liquid time or "rigid-time" is an interesting idea, one that mounts another sense of realism to the roleplay.

However, I think we are coming to a particular standstill in regards to our lack of liquid time in current roleplay areas. I like the idea of having a "Rigid-time" structure as it is a more realistic way to play. However, the problem that we seem to be running into is that we really not a very community (yet) and alot of our favorite roleplayers may be on here sporadically at times (this applies to everyone, we all sometimes become less active when life kicks us in the rear)

With alot of us having other things to take care of IRL, I'm wondering if the rigid-time rule makes it harder for others to play out threads with other characters when the one that they are in just...dies. Take for example, ohhhh....If Firestorm and I wanted to start a thread with say; Whispering Owl and Corona or something; both of those characters are currently stuck in the pack meeting thread (which hasn't been posted in for awhile now) and we can't start another thread until the pack meeting end because the characters can't leave the thread in the middle of the meeting; considering that Corona is beta and Whispering Owl is delta.

Since our board is so small, with so few members; (now even more so since some of the old faces either can't or won't come back and have pretty much left for good.) and because we all have lives outside of the computer or we don't have the time to play as we once did; our board is beginning to come back down to a standstill.

I am just using this as an example to clarify my point.

Not that the rigid-time rule isn't a good idea, I just think that at this point in time; this board does not have enough active members to sustain our characters being able to jump from thread to thread one at a time seamlessly. I think that for the time being, until we get more members and some more activity; a liquid-time approach would be best so long as we clarify when the thread is taking place.

Another example is that I would like to post Storm Raven's death and seeing Cold Mountain again on the Mountain in the Sky. I would love to post that with her; but I can't while she's stuck in the pack meeting with no replies coming in. I don't want to post it in Legends of An Age, because it's not past, and has no place there.

These are just my observations of the rigid-time rule being applied right now. Again, I am not saying that it is a bad idea at all; I actually love the idea to be quite honest. But our beloved board here is not really big enough or busy enough to sustain the rigid-time rule without a ton of work behind it. I really think that for the time being, it would be easier to have liquid time in place as opposed to rigid-time.

Again, just some observations.
Back to top Go down
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
FaunaMyth

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Observations on lack of Liquid-time   Observations on lack of Liquid-time EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 12:19 pm

I agree with you, Zeroki. I would like to RP Night Star and Sun Gaze but my threads that they are in have come to a stand-still. I know Merc's had trouble writing and Meo has rare internet access but it really does slow things down. Perhaps a compromise between thr two can be found, I know that having everything at once was confusing and this is slow. Perhaps pack meetings could be an exception? Or plot important events in general? Or you must specifically state the relative time to any other posts? A time limit between updates, unless prior warning is given, before the thread is closed?
Just tossing ideas out there. :/
Back to top Go down
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Observations on lack of Liquid-time   Observations on lack of Liquid-time EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 am

Yea you're right Zeroki. I've been waiting for Firestorm to reply to the pack meeting thread, which is why I haven't posted yet. Perhaps, for now like you said, we should allow liquid time as long as it is clarified as to when it takes place relative to the current thread/s that that character is involved in or will be involved in.
Back to top Go down
FireStormWarning
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha
FireStormWarning

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Observations on lack of Liquid-time   Observations on lack of Liquid-time EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Liquid time will be easier once we've hashed out a true timeline. Meoquanee, I'm wondering if you still spend any time on FURC? It might be easiest to work on one there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/the-black-mountain-saga/index.htm
FireStormWarning
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha
FireStormWarning

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Observations on lack of Liquid-time   Observations on lack of Liquid-time EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Incidentally, now that I have a better idea of which characters are still around, I'll post in the meeting thread later tonight. I kinda' hate having killed off Cold Mountain, but he was an old wolf, and he lived a good life. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/the-black-mountain-saga/index.htm
kotelinie
Starfleet Vice Admiral
\m/ Melodic Rocker
and ICTer

Starfleet Vice Admiral  \m/ Melodic Rocker  and ICTer
kotelinie

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Observations on lack of Liquid-time   Observations on lack of Liquid-time EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 6:43 am

Firestorm, could you also update the char list, I made in the wolves char section?

The idea of this liquid time is good, Just state a time or date in the first post, in which area it plays off. So that you can play in more rp's with the chars, while they are stuck in an other important rp.

Example of what I mean by that indication.

Just a few days or hours after the pack meeting ended, the pup sitter(s) have gotten busy to watch over the pups from the hunting party.

*insert said pups that are playing with each other*

-----

Thus so long you have that in the starting post, I think you are safe, without violating the time rule.
Back to top Go down
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member
Meoquanee

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Observations on lack of Liquid-time   Observations on lack of Liquid-time EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 1:31 pm

I don't play on FURC anymore, FS, just for the fact that I have absolutely no time for it. I do still have it on the computer, though, as I intend to return to it someday. However, since my time on and off of here is so unpredictable I'm afraid meeting up on there will be too hard to do P:. We'll have to work with PMing ><
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Observations on lack of Liquid-time   Observations on lack of Liquid-time Empty

Back to top Go down

Observations on lack of Liquid-time
Page 1 of 1